Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Waiting and Leukemia

I live with a friend who has been in a war with leukemia since the end of January. Since then, my job has been to take care of her house and her precious pups. Actually, not pups but two standard poodles, which ... wait ... I digress. Watching my friend over these last 6 months, I have learned so very much about waiting ... waiting in the active, ready-to-go, on-red-alert stance. There is never a moment to let down but a myriad of moments to let go ... of control. It's this paradox of praying in the confidence of God and the power of His Spirit within us and the humble relinquishment of our inability to do anything to change the situation.

6 chemo treatments, 6 bone marrow tests, 1 remission, 1 relapse ... a return of leukemia cells to over 70%. And, now we wait ... as we live each day beginning with prayer to our Mighty God. We live each day recognizing that He is God and we are not. And, we live each day in the hope of resurrection life ... in this present moment, right now, in this day ... resurrection life today. We live as we wait. Live ... in the active, ready-to-go, on-red-alert stance.

And, I live these days amazed ... in awe.
And, I learn.

What do I learn? To pray with all that I am to our God who loves us so much that He gives us life ... and then live it! Not just getting through today or making it to a certain day or date, but living life today ... living abundantly because God has blessed us with so very, very much. It requires vigilance (thank you Terry for that word) to keep our thoughts focused on the goodness and grace and gifts that surround us ... a mantle of God-ness ... his character in action that blesses us. And, it requires relinquishment ... letting go of wanting to control and looking for the ways God is at work ... looking for His blessing ... and then receive it, offer thanks and praise for it and ... live in it.

3 comments:

  1. As always, Jean, your words bless me, as they bless all who have ears to hear. Thank you!
    Wham, like a blow to the head, your words remind me that this is it... Life! Today! Right Now! This Instant! Immerse and Embrace! SAVOR IT! Every moment may be my last... How do I want to be spending it..? "Spending it!" I want to be spending it with The LORD!
    You are His beloved ambassador! You bring us His Holy Spirit in such a palpable way... I see Him more clearly because you shine His Light so radiantly.
    God's continued blessings upon you, and very special blessings upon your friend!
    Love, Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Tina's comments. What agape, sgrope, phila etc you have. God is with you, but in such different ways than you imagined, with you and your friends. Love from your other sister, Janina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jean, your words are such a blessing to me. They have clarified and crystallized something that I have only partially understood. TI know they will be used as thankfully He completes the work He has begun in me.

    Love & blessings, Rhetta

    ReplyDelete