Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Walking on Water


"So Peter got out of the boat and walked on water and came to Jesus." - Matthew 14.29

Yesterday I got word that I will have some unexpected additional monthly expenses. Unexpected = unbudgeted. Hmmm. My first thought was, "How will these additional expenses be paid?" My second thought was, "LORD, you know my situation. You know everything about me. So, you already know how these things will be paid. You know from where the funds will come. You have provided for me over these past two years of being without full-time employment and I know you will provide for me as I enter into the third. So, I'm giving these over to you." 

After I said that ... OK, it was more than a thought, I actually said it out loud ... after I said that I began to remember all the ways God has provided for me over these two years. And, as I remembered thankfulness began to well up and over in my heart. God provides. God is with me. 

This morning I read this in Jesus Calling 
"I want you to be all mine. I am weaning you from other dependencies. Your security rests in Me alone - not in other people, not in circumstances. Depending only on Me may feel like walking on a tightrope, but there is a safety net underneath: the everlasting arms." 

How like God to give such an immediate encouragement for my situation. As I read that the story of Peter walking on water came to mind. So, I flipped open my Bible and because I couldn't remember the exact passage, I did a quick Google search, which wanted to take me to Luke. OK, I'll go to Luke. But, then the first result came up Matthew. That's funny. I choose Luke and it gives me Matthew.

I turned back to my Bible and ... you guessed it ... it was open to Matthew AND there before my eyes was the story of Peter walking on water! I laughed out loud! God wants me to know that He's got it all under control. And, even if I sink ... I will have walked on water! AND, even if I sink ... He will be there to catch me. I will have come to Jesus.

Taking the risk to get out of the boat and walk on water is worth it. For me, it's trusting God with my finances and my work situation and ... well, I won't bore you. For you, it may be something similar or it may be a relationship or an addiction or homework or work itself or ... whatever! The truth is that God provides. God is with you. God will catch you in Jesus' loving arms. And, as you trust Him, He will make you laugh!

4 comments:

  1. Praying that God will continue to bless you and provide for you, Jean, in proportion to how much you bless us - which is immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah this is so you Jean. If only we all had your faith. I am always lifted up by your writing and thought. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! What a blessing your words ALWAYS are! May you continue to be immensely blessed for being such an immense blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent stuff - EXCELLENT stuff... Thank you thank you.. I echo Nancy's comment. YOUR great faith really helps to bolster my puny faith. THANK YOU THANK YOU..

    ReplyDelete