Monday, February 23, 2015

Forgiveness Sunday ... and Every Day

Yesterday in the Orthodox Church it was Forgiveness Sunday. My friend texted me yesterday and asked forgiveness. She didn't give particulars or specifics. She texted, "Today is forgiveness Sunday in the Orthodox Church. On this day everyone who attends church asks each individual, one by one, to forgive them.  So, to that end...please forgive me for all the ways I have failed you or sinned against you. I love you, friend!"

That's all it takes. A simple, "Please, forgive me for how I have failed you or sinned against you." I immediately texted back that indeed, I forgave her ... for what I didn't know or remember ... and asked forgiveness for the ways I sinned against her ... in thought, word, and deed both known and unknown. Her response ...

God forgives and I forgive. That's how it works.

Yes, that's how it works. We forgive because we have been forgiven. We don't harbor grudges, nurse grievances, smart under slights, challenge words of criticism, cringe when another is preferred (see previous blog definition of worldliness). We don't chew on these things or ruminate on them until they take hold in our heart. No. We forgive as we have been forgiven. We let it go.
Forgive and let go.


And we are free!
Praise be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment